Friday, March 13, 2009

Blacksmiths' Sayings from Germany

After reading my comments about old sayings related to blacksmithing my dear friend Dagmar in Germany sent this note. It is wonderful to see that these phrases cross cultures and language.

Dear Steven,
It was interesting to see the pictures, to read and to know more about your work in Cooperstown. I showed the pictures to Peter too, who liked to look at them. Some of the phrases in your list are used in German too:
- Hit the nail on the head - Den Nagel auf den Kopf treffen
- Strike when iron is hot- Das Eisen schmieden, solange es heiß ist
- Too many irons in the fire- Mehrere Eisen im Feuer haben

One other used phrase is "Nägel mit Köpfen machen", that means: To make nails with heads/To do things right and straight.

My mother, whose grandfather was a blacksmith, used the phrase "Schmiedeblut ist keine Buttermilch," that means: Blacksmiths’ blood is no buttermilk/ To be strong and tough.

My thanks to Dagmar for her thoughts and reminisces. I would love to hear from others too. Do you know of similar sayings in another language? I would enjoy hearing them in the comments.
My thanks! --Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin