Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Why did the Ducks cross the road at The Farmers' Museum?

To get the the pond, of course!  Our Cayuga ducks were busily working in the field this spring after a late snow.  They forage much of the day for their food.


Ducks eat both plants and insects.  They looked very intent as they worked through the new grass near the pond.


They moved right into the pond.  Ducks have feathers and down that insulate them from the cold water.


They love to swim, and looked for tasty treats in the water.


Cayuga are "Puddle Ducks", not "Diving Ducks". They tip up and reach underwater for food, but don't swim underwater like a Loon or Cormorant.  They also splash water on themselves to groom their feathers.


If you visit us at The Farmers' Museum be sure to walk down to the Farm and visit the ducks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Steve! I have so enjoyed your entire blog! I'm currently writing a historical series set in Paris, TN (I have 12 published novels), and one of my characters is a blacksmith in this 1890 story. Your blog has really helped me to envision what life must have been like for the smithy in days gone by. I keep checking back to see if you've put up anymore posts, but I haven't seen anything recent. I hope you are well and all is okay. After reading so many of your posts I feel like I've almost come to know you a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin