Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Birch Bark: amazing natural tinder

Every day in Field's Blacksmith shop starts with making a fire. Today most people use newspaper to start their kindling. I like to use birch bark. When we have birch firewood I break off the bark and save it.

It can also be found in the woods when a birch has fallen and rotten on the forest floor. Even when the wood has decayed the bark is still intact and useable. Don’t peel bark from live trees as it can kill them. There is plenty available from dead trees.

Birch bark is touch and contains natural oils and resins to protect the tree. Those same oils and resins make it an excellent fire starter. A small piece will make a big flame and burn for a minute or more. I use it to start my kindling wood.
Once the kindling is burning well I add coke and get the fire burning bright.

1 comment:

  1. I learned about using birch bark as a fire starter as a teenager and was amazed how well it worked. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about starting a fire with it that makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin